Acme Labs (alternatively styled as ACME Labs) is the home of Pinky and Brain most of the time. It is part of the Acme company that makes most of the products in the WB cartoon world; presumably, this is an "experimental products" portion of Acme, due to Brain's affinity for crazy weapons with far-out names such as:
- The Infindibulator (modulates gravitational forces to modify the Earth's magnetic forces to be able to steal all metal objects)
- The Catalystic Immobilizer which is shot out a test tube that spreads like a gas and freezes anyone who makes contact with it for 24 hours. It is a white snow-like substance that could be made-up of near-liquid nitrogen combined with antifreeze.
- The Smallilizer, liquid which shrinks material down
In the Halloween episode of the spin-off, Brain becomes the world's leader by magic, and the lab is changed into "Acme Castle" to accommodate him. In the end, Brain gives up the ownership of the world, and the lab becomes normal once more.
At the end of the spin-off episode Brainwashed Part 3 - Wash Harder, the lab is renovated and given a sleeker, more modern appearance. It is labeled as “NEW” ACME Labs.
In the alternate continuity of Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain, it was destroyed and later converted into a Disney Store-parody called the Dissy Store.
Acme Labs is a laboratory division of Acme, that has kept at least multiple creatures such as mice, hamsters and cats for testing. It is ran by a staff of human scientists. The staff there also research such things as the cure for hay fever (which works until Brain fires his extremely concentrated dose of pollen at the researcher). They also have such things as:
- The Acme Gene Splicer, Bagel Warmer, and Hot Dog Steamer. This gave characters such as Pinky, Brain and Snowball intelligence (the term “intelligence is used very loosely in regards to Pinky)
- A machine that can swap a mouse between Pinky-reminiscent levels of intelligence and to levels of pure genius that not even Brain can match.
- A personal computer
- Adjustable recording devices
- A maze
- A few CRT TV sets
- Brain’s different human suits
- A film projector
- A makeshift vacuum device.
- A canon
- A tank made out of cheese
The lab scientists presumably let their test subjects out, due to Brain attempting to perfect his machines over daytime (because they put their plans into fruition almost every night) without the supervisors ever caring. This becomes more evident later on in the spin-off’s run where the scientists are portrayed as increasingly careless and clumsy. Very rarely do they try to contain their animals, such as in "Mouse of La Mancha".
It is for sure known that they have a lab in Northern Kentucky, as it is stated that it is a short drive from the lab to Fort Knox. The location of the US lab varies throughout the series, with it either being in Los Angeles California or Chicago Illinois. It could perhaps have locations in both states that the mice could be moving between. At the end of the series in the ”Brainwashed” saga, ACME Labs is temporarily destroyed and the mice make no attempt to move to another lab location (instead Brain arranges for the lab to be repaired). This implies if there were multiple US locations of ACME Labs, most of them could have closed down leaving only one lab.
In the episode “To Russia with Lab Mice”, it is revealed that they have a sister location in Russia.
The lab is easily recognizable by its prominent sign, its brown doors, and its large amount of outside equipment. There is also a suspension bridge nearby. That's about everything that is not prone to change.
Exhibit A is probably the most commonly-seen Acme Labs in operation. The most obvious difference is the windows; Every other exhibit shows 3x5 windows; this picture shows 4x4 panes, thus giving us one extra pane. However, one can also note 4 more differences between this one and the 4 other pictures;
- The suspension bridge is curved more outwards from the lab, because we can see less of the suspension poles.
- This is the picture where the surrounding buildings to the left are the shortest.
- The door is built differently; Unlike Exhibits C, D and E, the brown door is built quite low and there is something above the door, with a light shining on the bottom face.
- The words "Acme Labs" are more pronounced in their thickness than the rest of the pictures.
The fence is also built differently from Exhibit B, and unlike Exhibit B, the word Acme is in light green.
In Exhibit B, the door is built even lower, and the light seems bigger. It is harder to note a path from outside the fence to the door, than the other pictures.
In Exhibit C, the lights are now off, and Acme Labs' sign is now a dark, unyielding red. The door is now built higher, with those golden bars that they put on push doors.
In Exhibit D, there is now a mailbox, the sign became even darker, and the yellow things on the door are gone.
Exhibit E is almost like Exhibit C, except that the sign is flashing.
Exhibit F is known as “New ACME Labs”. It appears at the end of Brainwashed Part 3-Wash Harder. It is sleeker and has additional fixtures attached to the structure. A giant “NEW” appears above the ACME Labs logo.
The point of this section is to illustrate the various appearances ACME Labs has taken on throughout the series. This could also allude to the presence of more locations.
In the revival of Animaniacs, ACME Labs returns in its original design (though a clock has been added) in the opening of "Of Mice and Memes", and then gradually changes during Brain's 22-year plan to create the modern internet. Other than the green tint to it, the ACME Labs sign is modernized and is more like typical corporate branding, with there being a hexagon shape on the top of the building with the name instead of big, flashing letters. There also appears to be a clock on the building and different-shaped/extra windows. The gate is also more detailed.
- A painting of the lab can be seen with other abandoned set-pieces deep in the Warner Bros. lot in Hearts of Twilight.
- In Wakko's Wish, a check made out to Wakko Warner has ACME Labs listed as his address.
- Acme Labs is mentioned in the gag credit for the Tiny Toons Night Ghoulery special - "The Brain (who had a cameo in the Frankenmyra segment) Appears Courtesy of: Acme Labs".